Apr 30, 2011

Painting the Town with Red

How to choose the right red lipstick for our skin tone?

I used to have a fear of wearing red lipstick. I had this thought that red lipsticks were only for those with a fairer skin texture. No biggie, I thought, morenas like me have other pretty pinks and browns to choose from anyway. Then I questioned, well, why should mestizas have all the fun?

Selecting the precise red lipstick, or selecting the right make-up for that matter, really depends a lot on finding the best products that will suit your skin's complexion. One of the easiest ways to determine your skin's tone would be to look at inside of your wrists. If the veins on your wrists are more greenish, then you have a warm, yellow skin undertone. If your veins have a more purplish tint, then you're more on the cool blue side. Those with a fair or rosy skin, usually have bluish undertones while morenas typically have yellow undertones. Mine are more greenish so I ought to stick to red lipsticks with red and brown orangey undertones.

There’s this one product that I’ve tried and I really like, it’s the Maybelline's Moisture Extreme Lipstick in Ruby Lustre. Yes, it's still red, but not the scary kind of red, if you know what I imply. Well, it's the kind of red lipstick that won't leave you looking clownish. Another Maybelline product that a friend of mine really loves is the Moisture Extreme Lipstick in Brick Rose. I find it a bit too dark for me, but she likes it a lot and it suits her very well so you might want to check it out that too.

I also like this L'Oreal's Glam Shine Cream in Glam Red. Like Maybelline's Ruby Red, it also has brown undertones which suits for morena skin tones. Now, if you're looking for a red lipstick that has SPF, then I’ll recommend you the Elianto's Spa Lipstick in Royal Red. This lipstick has SPF 15, which is really relevant for caring your lips and preventing it from getting darker.

On the other hand, the Fashion 21's Lip Spa Nutrient-Rich Lipstick in Raspberry is one of the super cheap red lipsticks that you might want to try. For only Php175.00, you get the color and the staying power of a rich red lipstick.

I think at the end there's really no "right" or "wrong" lipstick for you. If you feel like going for cherry reds, then go for it, if you think it looks nice on you. It all boils down to personal choice and what makes you feel beautiful and comfortable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment